Michael's Reviews > Bakemonogatari, Volume 1

Bakemonogatari, Volume 1 by NisiOisiN

liked it
bookshelves: manga

I received an arc from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

So I came in to this manga super intrigued in how this would adapt my favorite light novel series of all time. What makes the Monogatari series so great is how wonderfully timed, humorous, and quick-witted the banter between characters seems, as well as the super interesting characters and supernatural events.

So is the manga able to maintain what makes the light novel so good? Sadly it loses a lot from this adaptation. The witter banter is scaled back significantly, even more so than the anime, which at least left in enough to not feel as empty. Don't get me wrong here, as the manga has some really good sequences, and nails jokes at a decent pace. It's just due to the structure of manga and panels, if you've delved in to this world before, you know it has sacrificed a lot. Due to said structure it has no choice, but to edit out so much of the conversations, which left it feeling not quite whole.

Thankfully the plot itself doesn't suffer in the manga, so if you prefer a more straight forward nature in this style, it does its job. The artwork is fantastic, and I really enjoyed the effort the artist put in here. Characters look, act, and feel as they should. Another nice thing the artist has done, is give their own touch to the characters. The characters of course follow the original designs, but it is done without looking like straight copies of the light novel art, or the anime.

I think in the end, this manga may please some who may not have checked out the light novels or the anime first. It's not a terrible starting point in that regard, yet even then I recommend people consume this in either of its other media forms as to not miss out on what truly makes this series amazing in the first place. As for anyone that has consumed this series in another format, there isn't any reason I can recommend needing to check this out, unless you want it for your collection.

I'd give it a 2.5 out of 5 if I could, but rounding it up to a 3 since it isn't an option.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bakemonogatari, Volume 1.

October 14, 2019 – Started Reading