TAS's Reviews > The Golden Hour

The Golden Hour by Beatriz Williams

liked it

I am a fan of this author; but not so much this book. It’s an imaginative and fanciful plot, based loosely around an unsolved murder that took place during World War II in the Bahamas. If you need a memory jog, that was when the Duke and Duchess of Windsor were living in the Bahamas.

This is another one of those books that using a plot device that seems to be SO WIDELY used now, by SO MANY authors, that completely annoys me. Basically, the book is chunked into sections that represent different time periods, in different locations, and the complete story doesn’t come together until the very end. In the interim, the reader must keep track of plot lines and characters from 1900, 1941, 1943, 1905, 1942, 1916, 1944, and finally, 1951 in the Bahamas, Florida, London, Germany, Switzerland, and Scotland. So I found myself continually looking back to try to figure out whether the chapter I was about to read came before or after a previous chapter about these same characters. AARRRGGHH! To me it’s jarring to do so much skipping around and did NOT seem essential to building suspense in the overall plot.

While the unsolved murder is real, the central protagonist is fictional. Lulu, recently widowed (though not because of the war), is trying to make a living writing a gossip column about the Windsors and their life in the Bahamas. While mixing in with the wealthy set that surrounds the Windsors, Lulu meets a man whose work is war-related but mysterious and, not surprisingly, love blossoms. She also meets the people who will ultimately be involved in the murder but that is NOT a big part of the central plot. Then we delve into the back story of this man’s family, particularly the tragic love story of his parents.

There are spies, Nazis, illegitimate siblings, mental illness, and dysfunctional family relationships. It’s a reasonably interesting story. Just much more difficult to follow than is necessary.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golden Hour.

October 14, 2019 – Shelved