Maria Estrada's Reviews > Poems

Poems by Adrian   Morales

With technological advances come a range of possibilities for poets. I love when poets combine graphics or drawings with their work. *Poem* is no exception. Adrian Morales has taken delicate artwork and handwritten line art and coupled them with a wide range of poems. I loved the whimsical and serious love poems alike and found several favorites. Many of the poems dealt with uplifting, wonderful messages for readers.

However, my criticism is that there were too many genres of poetry in one chapbook. Categories would have helped the reader navigate through the poems. I would have loved to see themed sections like a section for children, love, uplifting messages, etc. Likewise, I preferred the art drawn by the artist to the CGI. The CGI was interesting, but I thought the work was not consistent, and some graphics detracted from the message of the poem. The use of double quotes was also an interesting choice. I have never seen individual poetic lines all separated by double quotes, and as an English professor that was too unconventional.

In all, I recommend this first collection; just be prepared for some beauty weaved into unconventional surprises.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poems.

October 14, 2019 – Started Reading