Margaret's Reviews > Lady Clementine: A Novel

Lady Clementine by Marie Benedict

liked it
bookshelves: arc, 2019, 2019-netgalley, 2019-new-to-me-author, historical-england, ww-ii, ww-i

This is my first time reading Marie Benedict, she has been on my radar for a while with The Other Einstein and Carnegie's Maid - both waiting patiently on my tbr pile.

Lady Clementine follows the trend these days with strong women supporting men in leadership roles. My only glimpse of the wife of Winston Churchill were brief appearances on The Crown, so yea I was looking forward to this one.

Beginning in 1909 with their wedding and spanning through to 1945, there is a lot of years and living to tackle in 336 pages. For me, that reflected in my enjoyment as I struggled to connect with Clementine. I found I was educated verses entertained. I learned a lot about their lives, struggles, parenthood and more, but I didn’t warm up to them. I didn't get the emotional attachment that I crave in these types of books. Given the ratings, it would appear I am in the minority.

But all in all, I liked it and that's still a good thing.

My thanks to Sourcebooks (via Netgalley) for an advanced copy in exchange for honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady Clementine.

October 14, 2019 – Shelved
December 29, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-new-to-me-author
December 29, 2019 – Shelved as: historical-england
December 29, 2019 – Shelved as: ww-i
December 29, 2019 – Shelved as: ww-ii

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Annette I hear you Margaret on history vs entertainment. I on the other hand became a huge fan of Marie Benedict. I've read all her books :)