Kate's Reviews > Abide With Me

Abide With Me by Ian  Ayris

Mar 26, 2012

bookshelves: uk-kindle-forum-authors
Read from April 17 to 18, 2012

I really enjoyed this book. Set in the mid 70's it avoids nostalgia by showing a gritty reality of how hard life was. When I read the blurb about this book it looked like it was a tale of two boys, for me it was the tale of one boy, John. John was a great character, he looked beyond the surface of things/ people and if you were lucky enough to have his friendship then he would be by your side through thick or thin. The problems for Kenny really started at a key football match and things went downhill from there. It is perhaps because this book was told through the eyes of John that I didn't fully understand Kenny; there wasn't the opportunity to see into his world in the same way.

This book reminded me of 'Angela's Ashes' by Frank McCourt, which admitedly I've not read in years, but has the same sense of gritty hardship and 'this is how life is' attitude. The London vernacular took a bit of getting used to but, I think, gave the story credibility as did the swearing. A very well written book that I would recommend to anyone. Looking forward to reading more from this author (which is the only reason he got a 4* rating, I'm saving the 5* for his 'blow you away' book).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abide With Me.