Petrik's Reviews > Wintersteel

Wintersteel by Will Wight

bookshelves: self-published-and-indie

I have a Booktube channel now! Subscribe here: https://www.youtube.com/petrikleo

Wintersteel is the most action-packed volume, with some of the finest action scenes, within the series so far.

“There are a million Paths in this world, Lindon, but any sage will tell you they can all be reduced to one. Improve yourself.”

The story in Wintersteel focuses mostly on the second half of the unfinished Uncrowned King tournament. The conflict and tensions between the remaining competitors are very high, and far away, there’s a Dreadgod rising. Wintersteel, in every sense of the content, is a direct continuation of Uncrowned, and I know it would go against the nature of the series to do this, but I did feel that both Uncrowned and Wintersteel would’ve been even better as one tome. Unlike many readers of the series, I actually considered Uncrowned to be one of the best installments in the series despite the abrupt ending. If you’re reading this review but haven’t started the series or read Uncrowned yet, I strongly suggest you binge-read Uncrowned and Wintersteel back to back. I truly believe this would benefit your reading experience because, despite my enjoyment of Wintersteel, I think the six months gap since I read the previous book did diminish my enjoyment.

“Failure can be a teacher, and of course one can try one’s best and still fail. There is no such thing as an undefeated warrior.”

The reason why I mentioned that I needed a reread is that I didn’t realize how much of my investment in this series rides on the main characters. Wintersteel featured a LOT of other side character’s POV, and because it’s been a while since I read Uncrowned and the previous books in the series, I didn’t find myself invested in reading any of these characters. I’ve never been a huge fan of Lindon in the previous books, but I do feel that his characterizations are getting better and better with each book. After the events that happened in Underlord and Uncrowned, it’s great to see more personality and emotions from him. Also, I loved what Wight has done with the story and the main characters here. I personally think that the main characters of this series aren’t only Lindon, but Yerin as well, and I think Wight has done an incredible job on building her character, strength, and her relationship with Lindon here. As for Eithan, nothing needed to be said; he’s still the best character of the entire series.

“There is no physical punishment that could motivate you.” Malice went on, “but you must feel the sting of failure if you are ever to appreciate success.”

The best thing about Wintersteel, in my opinion, lies within the battles; I wish I could talk about the details here, but it’s seriously better for you to find out for yourself. Wight displayed some of the best actions within the series so far, and this was especially true in the last 20% of the novel where all hell break loose. There were a few sluggish pacing moments in the middle of the book—the hunting for points game thing was boredom to me—but overall, the superbly-written battle scenes definitely overshadowed some of the boring parts.

I do feel that the main reason why this book didn’t work for me as much as I hoped—not the book’s fault—was the overwhelming hype for the release of this novel that increased my expectations unreasonably high. Honestly, in my reading journey, this is one of, if not, the most hyped books I’ve ever seen on social media; Wight’s fanbase is hugely devoted and loyal. I mean, one day after Wintersteel was released, it hit the number one best-selling book on the entire Kindle store, and now it has more than 1,200 reviews (Average rating of 4.9/5 stars) on Amazon already. Less than a week of release! Let that sink in. Three of my co-bloggers practically ignored our group chat for days until they're done with it, and some people have even mentioned that they don’t need The Stormlight Archives anymore now that they have Wintersteel! The hype and love for this series was (and is) THAT immense.

Overall, I loved Wintersteel; the characterizations and development for the main characters were good, the actions were magnificent, and the ending was satisfying. I’m sure many readers of Wintersteel would find this as their favorite book in Cradle so far. It is such a lovely thing for Wight and the series to be this well-loved and popular; I’m truly happy that so many readers are so vocal about their love for this series. However, for the sake of my own reading experience, I have learned that in future installments, I will wait for a month or two after the hype died down a bit before I read a new release in the series.

P.S: I’m quite confident I’ll love this book even more on reread. Also, please read the bloopers.

You can order the book from: Amazon UK | Amazon US | Book Depository (Free shipping)

You can find this and the rest of my reviews at Novel Notions

Special thanks to my Patrons on Patreon for giving me extra support towards my passion for reading and reviewing!

My Patrons: Alfred, Alya, Annabeth, Blaise, Devin, Diana, Hamad, Helen, Jimmy Nutts, Joie, Michelle, Mike, Miracle, Nicholas, Zoe.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wintersteel.

October 14, 2019 – Shelved
October 7, 2020 – Started Reading
October 10, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

ConciseAlan Loved the book, but you'll agree it's no Stormlight Archive. Good review.

Petrik Concisealan wrote: "Loved the book, but you'll agree it's no Stormlight Archive. Good review."

Thank you! Yeah, maybe they really think it's better than The Stormlight Archives; I totally and respectfully disagree. :)

message 3: by Audrey (new) - added it

Audrey Great review Petrik and yes this book was waiting like the messiah lol. I plan to start this serie in 2021 and as my nights will be agitated I think I will lol.

Petrik Audrey wrote: "Great review Petrik and yes this book was waiting like the messiah lol. I plan to start this serie in 2021 and as my nights will be agitated I think I will lol."

Thank you, Audrey! Yeah, this is the first time I'm caught up to the series, it was surprising to me seeing everyone's shouting to it! xD

Gabriel d'Matos I think that if i not have reread Uncrowned before starting this one i would feel i little lost. It's basically the same book cut in half.

Petrik Gabriel wrote: "I think that if i not have reread Uncrowned before starting this one i would feel i little lost. It's basically the same book cut in half."

Exactly, Gabriel. I definitely feel that I lost my connection with the non-main characters; their POV, which were quite a lot here, didn't do anything for me. :/

That's why I also mentioned that Uncrowned and Wintersteel are essentially one big book cut into two.

message 7: by A.R (new) - added it

A.R To hear how hyped this series is and how dedicated the fan base is sounds insane! I had never even heard of this series until your review!

Petrik A.R wrote: "To hear how hyped this series is and how dedicated the fan base is sounds insane! I had never even heard of this series until your review!"

Crazy right? it's like this huge bubble we don't know of, but now we've entered it! :D

Jonathan Duarte Will has a lot to improve on order to be able to create something as good as SA, but overall i really liked this book even if Underlord is still my favorite...

Petrik Jonathan wrote: "Will has a lot to improve on order to be able to create something as good as SA, but overall i really liked this book even if Underlord is still my favorite..."

I think it will be difficult for Wight to top Stormlight Archives with this series; they're so different from each other, imo. And like you, I definitely think Underlord is still the best of the series! :)

message 11: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Humphrey I loved checking out your YouTube channel, Petrik! Definitely added some new books to my wishlist and enjoyed seeing some of my favorites make your best of list for newcomers adult fantasy. 😊

Petrik Chelsea wrote: "I loved checking out your YouTube channel, Petrik! Definitely added some new books to my wishlist and enjoyed seeing some of my favorites make your best of list for newcomers adult fantasy. 😊"

Awww, thank you so much, Chelsea! I didn't know you watched my channel! I'm making "My favorite completed fantasy series so far" video to post this month, I hope you'll find that one enjoyable as well! :D

Sue (BeautyBookCorner) What! That’s awesome. Subscribing now.

Petrik Sue (BeautyBookCorner) wrote: "What! That’s awesome. Subscribing now."

Thank you so much, Sue!! :)

Mackenzie (bookish_black_hole) i saw the first 7 books were free on kindle a few days ago and that you enjoyed them so i downloaded them!

Petrik Mackenzie (bookish_black_hole) wrote: "i saw the first 7 books were free on kindle a few days ago and that you enjoyed them so i downloaded them!"

So glad you got them, Mackenzie! It's an addictive series, I think you'll have a great time reading through it! :)

Terence I only started reading the Cradle series a few weeks ago so I had the advantage to have read books 1-8 all in a row. I really enjoyed Wintersteel and I'm glad the series isn't over yet. I have to say that my favorite book in the series thus far was Ghostwater. Wintersteel was second for me.

Petrik Terence wrote: "I only started reading the Cradle series a few weeks ago so I had the advantage to have read books 1-8 all in a row. I really enjoyed Wintersteel and I'm glad the series isn't over yet. I have to s..."

Yeah! It's been 6 months since I read Uncrowned, and I did feel that I should've reread at least Uncrowned before reading this one; I lost my connections with many of the side characters, and I also forgot details. I think the series will run until 2022 or 2023 the latest. Wight has mentioned it's planned to be 12 or 13 books series! I'm glad you loved the series, too! :)

Terence Yeah it can definitely be hard when such a long period of time passes between books. I agree I do like to reread or at least skim over previous books to have refresher before getting into a new book. I didn't know the series is supposed to go that long. That's really great to hear. Will Wight does a great job bringing his characters to life and he's really creative when he creates abilities.

I'm kind of shocked I didn't get into the books sooner. I picked up all the books he has written a year ago for free when he had a giveaway. I just haven't been reading as much or spending much time looking for books. I just was in the mood to read something and I just happened to choose the Cradle series.

Petrik Terence wrote: "Yeah it can definitely be hard when such a long period of time passes between books. I agree I do like to reread or at least skim over previous books to have refresher before getting into a new boo..."

Sometimes I wish I have the power to retain details, but with how many different books and series I'm caught in, it's highly difficult. Sometimes I reread the last few chapters of the previous book, and sometimes they're enough, but this time it wasn't! xD

Yeah, there's this bizarre and HUGE bubble with this series. Like somehow many people doesn't know about it, but those who know (the numbers keep on growing) are super die hard fans of the series. The number of sales pretty much has proved this. So lucky that you chose Cradle, though, otherwise you'll be missing out on this! :D

Nnaemeka Clinton Yeah , while I like cradle it's no stormlight archives especially with the last couple of books you can see how weak some of Wills character creation is, prominently yerin being some weird Mary sue he treats like a favoured child.

message 22: by Petrik (last edited Oct 17, 2020 11:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Petrik Nnaemeka wrote: "Yeah , while I like cradle it's no stormlight archives especially with the last couple of books you can see how weak some of Wills character creation is, prominently yerin being some weird Mary sue..."

I don't think Yerin is a Mary Sue, but I'll agree with you Wight's characterizations (although it's better now than the earlier books) is the one thing that he need to improve upon. :)