Samantha Oledan's Reviews > Sweet Little Lies

Sweet Little Lies by Lauren Conrad

Mar 26, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: chick-lit, love-story, part-of-a-series, great-cover, borrowed-book, adult-fiction

The general description I could give about this book is that the story was flat. It had no climax or rather the supposedly climax wasn't really gripping.

The reason why I read this book was that I got curious of the author. I've seen Lauren Conrad from various showbiz magazines and I was aware that she was part of the reality show The Hills even though I didn't watch any episodes of it. I just wanted to know if she really had what it takes to be called a New York Times Best-Selling Author as what was written on the book cover. I also got attracted by the simplicity of its cover design. Since borrowing books from the library is free I decided to give it a shot.

I didn't say I hated it but I couldn't say that I liked it either. I felt neutral about this book. There was no depth in the story but I still got entertained somehow. It was like taking a breath from all the heavy dark stories that I usually enjoy.

Here are some more of my comments:

1. I wish Madison's real motives weren't revealed early on to give a shocking vibe during the climax. It turned out dull when Jane finally learned about the truth. I had nothing to anticipate for. When it got to that supposedly climax part I was just like reading it in passing only. There was no "WTF? No way! I told you so" feeling.

2. I think that the only character whose personality was built up satisfactorily was Scarlett. She had a definite view in life and there was more depth in her character than anyone else in the book. I could say that she was my favorite person in the story (but not favorite, favorite).

3. I somehow got annoyed with Jane. Even if the story revolved around her I thought that her character was weak. She appeared like she didn't have any life outside her relationship fiasco. Sure she was an events-planner but it still felt like the only thing in her head was about Jesse, Braden and other boy-drama. She was also very naive.

4. Fiona, Jane's boss, was described as someone who looked like an older version of Kristen Stewart--- hmmm... I was picturing the granny version of Katy Perry from The One that Got Away video. I didn't know why.

description

5. I couldn't help thinking if the story somehow reflected Lauren Conrad's experiences during her reality show stint. So, reality TV isn't as real as it should be after all? How do the stars of this type of show got discovered? Now I wanted to be one! Hahaha!!!

I believe that the only reason why this book sold many copies and made Lauren Conrad a best-selling author was that she was popular. I'm sorry to say that this kind of story wasn't what I consider as a best-selling novel. It is nice for those who look for some light-reading. It is also fun to get a glimpse on what is happening behind the scenes of a reality show. But if you prefer to read a gripping, mysterious and action-packed book, maybe you should skip this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Little Lies.

March 26, 2012 – Started Reading
March 26, 2012 – Shelved
March 26, 2012 –
page 12
3.88% "So far I'm bored."
March 26, 2012 –
page 61
19.74% "Light reading."
March 27, 2012 –
page 94
30.42% "I'm actually liking it, but not like as in really like. I just find it bearable and a little intriguing."
March 27, 2012 –
page 162
52.43% "I'm getting irritated with Jane!"
March 29, 2012 –