Kcduchess's Reviews > Stateless

Stateless by Meli Raine

bookshelves: 2019, a-different-kind-of-world, arc

Wow! I was deep in a book funk and every time I started to read something, I ended up not finishing the books. Now I'm so glad that I made the decision to read Stateless. Something in the promotion blurb piqued my interest and I had a gut feeling that this time, it would be different. And boy, what a ride it was!

First, the world-building was amazing. The rules, how life is organized inside the perimeter of the project... the description was perfect. You could almost feel the monitoring cameras and the constant pressure of being observed.

The characters were very skillfully written. I love how Raine describes the effects of psychological violence and authoritarian rule in individuals, how the relentless brainwashing shapes people and how they perceive the reality surrounding them. My favorite character is Kina, her strength is something I admire.

The talent of Meli Raine is made clear as the story advances and the characters get entwined in a net of lies, half-truths, modified reality - it becomes impossible to know who to trust or to know what is real anymore.

Stateless is the first part of a trilogy and I can't wait to read the rest and find out how everything turns out in the very end.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stateless.

October 9, 2019 – Started Reading