Ruth Hill's Reviews > By the Light of the Silvery Moon

By the Light of the Silvery Moon by Tricia Goyer

Mar 26, 2012

bookshelves: historical, romance
Read from March 26 to 29, 2012

When I realized that this was historical fiction about the Titanic, I was ecstatic! I have had a fascination with this great ship since I did a report on it back in sixth grade. And with the 100th year anniversary, it could not be better timing.

I was immensely pleased with the research that the author did for this book. She added in everything from the near collision when it set sail to the screams of the doomed passengers in the water. For the first time, I understood why no one survived who was not in the lifeboat. And I understood the precarious position of those lifeboats. I know I may have heard it before, but suddenly it made sense.

I was enthralled by the story. I was able to tell early on that one of the stories was an updated retelling of the Prodigal Son parable. I loved the twist the author put in the story.

Amelia is a character that spoke to my heart--as did Quentin. I am amazed at how God continues to use historical Chrisitan fiction to speak to my heart. I have been blaming myself lately for the part I have played in my current domestic issue. I have found myself apologizing over and over for a decision I made some 10 years ago that is making this current issue possible. Well, I realized yesterday as I read that God orchestrated it all. It was not something I pursued or sought after. And God could have stopped it. But He did not. It happened, and even as I walk through my current pain, God has a purpose in it all. Just as Amelia and Quentin learned. How could the disaster of the Titanic been a part of God's plan? We may never understand it in this life. As an old song I know says: When you can't trust His hand, trust His heart.

I also loved the side note about John Astor. I will not spoil it for the reader, but it was pure genius, in my opinion.

In short, if you love historical fiction romances, this is for you. Yes, it has a strong Christian message, but it is woeven so seamlessly into the fabric of the story, I doubt it would truly bother anyone who is not a Christian. It may convict you, but the story line is so strong that I will bet you will not want to put it down.

I was given a copy of this book inexchange for my honest review. I was not financially compensated in any way, and all opinions are 100 percent mine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By the Light of the Silvery Moon.