Ari 's Reviews > A Lie for a Lie

A Lie for a Lie by Helena Hunting

*I received a copy of this book from the author/publisher in exchange for an honest review.*

Before I requested A Lie for a Lie, I had no idea that it would be set in the Pucked series world. The Pucked series and I have a very complicated relationship because while I don't totally hate the series, I don't totally love it either. Once I had realized that the All In series was basically a spin-off series, I was a little apprehensive about going into A Lie for a Lie because it could go either way with this book—I just hoped it didn't end with me throwing my eReader across the room.

Rook "RJ" Bowman is ready to head up to Alaska and be one with nature for the next few weeks. What he doesn't bargain for is Lainey Carver—a nerdy graduate student who is also heading up to Alaska to do research for her thesis. Sparks fly and within a span of a few short weeks, both RJ and Lainey start to develop feelings for one another. But reality sets in when RJ is called away because of a family emergency and among the chaos, RJ and Lainey lose touch. Months later, RJ and Lainey are tossed back into each other's lives but this time secrets threaten to keep these two apart—secrets that will end up changing both of their lives.

Well I'll be damned, I actually really enjoyed this book. I couldn't stop reading once I started and I ended up staying up way past my bedtime to finish this story. A Lie for a Lie is a sweet, second-chance romance with a surprising twist. I think this particular twist can either make or break or story and personally, I thought Hunting did a good job at weaving it into the story without making it come across as overly clichéd. One of the things that had me completely sold on this story was Lainey herself. I adored Lainey. She's just this kind-hearted, nerdy girl who at times can be super awkward girl but you can't help but love her. RJ took a little bit longer to warm up to because we know he's a reformed playboy but I wasn't sure if he was gonna be super cocky or whatnot and he ended up surprising me because he's just a big teddy bear. Despite being total opposites, I shipped RJ and Lainey so hard because despite their difference, they somehow end up being the perfect match one another. Lainey is the perfect girl for RJ because she helps to keep him grounded with his hectic life and in turn, RJ helps to calm Lainey. Lainey has anxiety after she witnessed a shooting during college so at times she can become overwhelmed and RJ provides that support she needs when things do become too much for her. I love how RJ is just so considerate and makes sure that Lainey is comfortable in social situations while also giving her space when she asks for it. But let's not forget the most important part of this story: GETTING TO SEE MY BABY LANCE ROMERO AND A DADDY! Okay, I'm done fangirling but damn seeing my faves Lance and Poppy again totally had me grinning from ear to ear. A Lie for a Lie was an adorable start to a new series and I'm excited to see what's to come. I already have the sequel sitting on my eReader waiting for me to devour it and I can't wait!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lie for a Lie.

October 12, 2019 – Started Reading
October 12, 2019 – Shelved
October 12, 2019 –
October 15, 2019 –
October 16, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

❤️ Paulette  Alphas Review ↪Happy reading L💕ve ↩