Karen's Reviews > The Art of Watercolor Lettering: A Beginner's Step-by-Step Guide to Painting Modern Calligraphy and Lettered Art

The Art of Watercolor Lettering by Kelly Klapstein

190448

liked it

3.5 stars.

If one could get good at something by reading books on it, my brush lettering would be incredible by now. I have read so many books on this topic that I could probably get a degree on it if it didn't mean I had to actually do some. I wasn't sure what new I was expecting from this book but here's how it surprised me:

- it's definitely a beginner book: she breaks down the letters into families so you know how to practice each set. she walks you step by step. She gives many many many practice pages at the end of the book.

- it has both variety and fun: she might have preferences in her tools. but this might be one of the first watercolor books i read that actually mentioned watercolor pencils (which is my favorite medium.) which I loved. She has fun wreath ideas, fun ways to combine paint and use brush pens, etc, too.

- it encourages practice: this was my reminder to self that without actually sitting down and practicing, it's unlikely I will ever get good at it. To encourage this, she has many different types of practice pages that you can simply trace.

Overall, if you love the idea of watercolor lettering and you're a solid beginner, I recommend this one.

Thank you to netgalley and Quarto Publishing Group for an early copy in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Watercolor Lettering.

October 12, 2019 – Started Reading