Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*'s Reviews > The Mother I Could Have Been

The Mother I Could Have Been by Kerry Fisher

EXCERPT: I could have put my head on the table and cried. I'd held my babies close when they were born, my mind full of the fun we'd have, the places we'd see, the idea that we'd be this solid unit, each one of us standing firm, providing fortification against the outside world. It never occurred to me that we'd all turn on each other.

ABOUT THIS BOOK: As a child, Vicky Hall never had the sort of family she wanted. The least important person in her new step-family, ignored by her mother in favour of her two younger half-siblings, Vicky was always an afterthought. Sitting alone at her graduation ceremony at the age of twenty-one, she vows to create her own family and her own life, one which is full of the love and attention she has always craved.

When Vicky meets William and falls pregnant in Greece that summer, it isn’t planned. But the two of them believe they can make it work, showering their child with the love which they believe should be enough.

But when her son Theo is two, Vicky leaves him in the care of her mother-in-law, walks out of her front door and drives to a hotel where she takes a room for the night. She doesn’t return.

It’s unthinkable.

What kind of mother does that?

The kind who is hiding a story you can never imagine.

MY THOUGHTS: What mother hasn't doubted her own capability as a mother? Doesn't look back with regret at some stupid decision she made, or some inappropriate reaction to something her child has done that she would take back if she could? Mothering has to be the hardest job in the world.

And the most rewarding. But when you're young, and perhaps without a network of support, it is a daunting job. It's daunting enough when you have that support. I felt sorry for Vicky, but I didn't like her. At first.... I came around.

I have to admit I bonded more with Caro, and loved her story, even though I couldn't see how the two could be connected. But they were. Beautifully.

Fisher has a great way with words. She says about people what we all think at times, and says it in exactly the way we think it. Her characters are so real they could walk off the pages and into our lives. We feel their emotions, their fears, their disappointments, their joys.

An emotional read.

****

#TheMotherICouldHaveBeen #NetGalley

THE AUTHOR: Kerry Fisher is an internationally bestselling author of six novels, including The Woman I Was Before, The Silent Wife and The Secret Child. She was born in Peterborough, studied French and Italian at the University of Bath and spent several years living in Spain, Italy and Corsica. After returning to England to work as a journalist, she eventually abandoned real life stories for the secrets of fictional families. She now lives in Surrey with her husband, two teenage children and a naughty Lab/Schnauzer called Poppy.

Best advice ever received: 'This is fiction, we can skip the boring bits.' Lynn Hightower, UCLA Writers' Program.

DISCLOSURE: Thank you to Bookouture, via NetGalley, for providing a digital ARC of The Mother I Could Have Been by Kerry Fisher for review. All opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own opinions.

For an explanation of my rating system please refer to my Goodreads.com profile page, or the about page on sandysbookaday.wordpress.com

This and other reviews are also published on Twitter, Amazon and my webpage https://sandysbookaday.wordpress.com/...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mother I Could Have Been.

October 12, 2019 – Shelved
December 6, 2019 – Shelved as: contemporary-fiction
December 6, 2019 – Shelved as: family-drama
December 6, 2019 – Shelved as: romance
December 6, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hall Great review and having just finished the audiobook I have to agree what a superb read it in. I have enjoyed all of the books by this author - I love her understated approach and how she captures her characters and their emotions so profoundly, xx

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* Rachel wrote: "Great review and having just finished the audiobook I have to agree what a superb read it in. I have enjoyed all of the books by this author - I love her understated approach and how she captures h..."

You've nailed it Rachel. Any relation to Vicky?😂🤣😂🤣 but seriously, I have a cousin by the name of Vicky Hall. ❤😍📚

message 3: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Terrific review, Sandy , as always!

message 4: by Jayme (new) - added it

Jayme Darn it Sandy! I cannot keep up with you! 😘🤣

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hall Ha ha, no relation, Sandy, but the worst thing is that India reminded mum and I of my sister a bit! Sshh! xx

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* Angela M wrote: "Terrific review, Sandy , as always!"

Thanks Angela ❤😍📚

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* Jayme wrote: "Darn it Sandy! I cannot keep up with you! 😘🤣"

Honestly, I don't move that fast Jayme....I'm more the tortoise than the hare.😂🤣😂🤣❤😍📚

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* Rachel wrote: "Ha ha, no relation, Sandy, but the worst thing is that India reminded mum and I of my sister a bit! Sshh! xx"

Oh dear.....there's one in every family 😂🤣❤😍📚

message 9: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Fantastic review Sandy 🌷

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* Maureen wrote: "Fantastic review Sandy 🌷"

Thank you Maureen. *:)