Sara's Reviews > The Summer Springsteen's Songs Saved Me

The Summer Springsteen's Songs Saved Me by Barbara  Quinn

F 50x66

Originally reviewed for Chick Lit Central (www.chicklitcentral.com)

While I’m not a huge Springsteen fan, I’m a huge fan of this novel. From the get go, the reader is projected into a horrific situation that immediately clings in all the painful places. It’s enough to set anyone off. Yet there are layers to the pain Sofia feels, and we begin to discover a little bit at a time where she’s coming from, and why she still feels an attachment to her husband, even with the way he treats her. So much of it stems from past tragedies, and Barbara Quinn showed us that in such an eloquent way.

Sofia is a beautifully flawed character. In her moments of vulnerable honesty are moments where I questioned how I would have handled a similar situation. It’s a constant three steps forward, two steps back- even after she thinks she’s taken the reigns of her life. I felt the same disgust she feels when she tries to say goodbye to her husband, but I also felt the love, too, when she remembers what it was like when there were happier times. More layers. More depth to really paint a realistic look at what can happen when a marriage begins to crumble.

In her newfound friendships and in the neighbor next door, we begin to see growth and change. While Springsteen’s words of wisdom are a backdrop, filling Sofia with inspiration and strength at various times, essentially it’s the allowance of letting others in that makes all the difference. Those steps aren’t easy, either, particularly with the neighbor. I wanted to see where this potential relationship would or could go, but as with most everything for Sofia, it’s a work in progress, one she’s not even sure she wants to dive into.

There’s fear in starting over, in leaving the past behind. In many respects, Sofia showcases that the fear is a normal reaction to change. I couldn’t help but feel inspired by her story. I was also attracted to the premise of an older woman who is starting her life over, considering so many stories of earth-shattering events focus on the younger crowd. I could better relate and identify with that struggle. This was a deep story of forgiveness, love, and friendship, three scenarios worthy of five stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summer Springsteen's Songs Saved Me.

October 12, 2019 – Started Reading