Andrea's Reviews > Stalking Jack the Ripper

Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco

liked it
bookshelves: historical-fiction

There’s potential here.

I wasn’t sure if I’d like this. I’m not the biggest historical fiction fan and I’ve heard some mixed things. To me, this is probably a 3.5 star read.

The Good

Audrey is a badass. She knows what society expects of her, but rejects everything that makes her unhappy. She follows her passion for forensic studies, knowing she’ll be shunned for such an “unseemly” hobby, without a second thought. I loved her bravery and curious nature.

Thomas Cresswell. He is charming, arrogant, and very unconventional. He hides all of his emotions and thoughts behind indifference and sarcasm, but he definitely drew me in. I loved the loyalty that would pop up every once in a while. I really want to get to know more about him in the next books.

The romance between her and Thomas was more subtle here, just laying a foundation for future books. I think they complement each other so well and I’m so excited to see what’s to come for them.

I loved all the research that went into this. You can tell the author put in the work to make the Jack the Ripper case fit in the story. Anything that deviated from history was pointed out at the end of my copy of the book. Not only that, but forensic studies also really detailed at times.

The okay / not great

There wasn’t anything I hated about this book, just a few things I did’t love,

I did figure out the mystery way before the reveal. That sucked, but it didn’t take too much of my enjoyment, because while I did guess the killer, the motivation behind it was very original.

I thought the book really picked up in the second half. However there were some parts around the first quarter to first half the completely dragged.

While I love Audrey, there were a lot of instances where the author told us “she’s not like other girls.” I wish there were more female characters in her life that she could look up to or have a connection with. Every woman shown (like four, by the way) was rude, forgettable, or looking to marry rich. I hope this changes as the series goes on.

All in all though, this was a nice start to the series. I want to continue the series, in fact I already started Hunting Prince Dracula!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stalking Jack the Ripper.

July 17, 2016 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
October 11, 2019 – Started Reading