Lynn Spencer's Reviews > Belladonna

Belladonna by Jenna Ryan

bookshelves: dnf, tbr-challenge

Hooo boy, this was...something. I tried to read this book for TBR Challenge, thinking it might be some fun 90s nostalgia. On the one hand, it did have that slightly gothic, is-it-or-isnt-it-paranormal mood that a fair number of 90s categories had back in the day. Given that this book is about a woman (named Belladonna, no less), who has no memory of her early life and is somehow now at the center of a dangerous plot, it's fair to say that things go over the top pretty quickly.

And at first, I was there for that. Mysterious plots centered on San Francisco before the tech bros took over? Totally here for this. Bizarre, mysterious crime syndicate where all the participants are named after birds and sound vaguely like the bad guys on Miami Vice? It's a little hackneyed, but sure, why not?

But then I started noticing casually insensitive language about the leads' ethnicities, and that made me cringe. I gamely kept going but once I got to the heavyhanded Chinese stereotyping, followed by first sex scene where everyone was way too obsessed with the virginal state of our 30 year old heroine, I couldn't deal anymore and noped right out of there.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Belladonna.

Finished Reading