Vicki Andrada's Reviews > The Daughter Of Kurdland: A Life Dedicated to Humankind

The Daughter Of Kurdland by Widad Akreyi

U 50x66

Where to start... I could say so much about this book! This one was special to me, as in recent years the Kurdish struggle has become very close to my heart. I've been interested in the Middle East from a young age. I've never really known why this is, it just is. I knew a little about the Kurds as a teenager, but not enough. I would come to know more about them when I began reading up on what has been going on in Syria. That was what started it. It wasn't long and these people captured my heart!

They are largely de vided between 4 states, Syria, Turkey, Iran, and Iraq. She also mentions in this book that Azerbaijan has some of a Kurdish population there as well. Which I was not aware of. We are always learning...

In the states the Kurds have been forced to live in, they are not even allowed to speak their own language! She talks of Genocide committed against them in Iraq, I don't want to say too much here, to know you'll have to read the book, but the Genocides committed against the Kurds in Iraq are not the only ones. In Syria they are now under such a situation at the hands of Turkey, while the world has done very little to stop it!

They have been good allies to the US and western nations, and been stabbed in the back over and over again. Even with that being the case, they still have worked with us again and again. They were the ones that lost some of the most helping us fight the Islamic State, or IS.

There is so much I could say here, but this is a review, so I have to limit it. However, if you want to know more about these people, this is such a good educational read! I would totally recommend it.

Before I close this review, I just want to say that I love Widad's spirit! She has been through so much, things I can't begin to imagine! And she still has so much love in her, she still fights for the rights of peoples all around the world! I've learned a lot reading this book! Thanks Widad for writing this book. I know it had to be hard to do so! But the world needs to know. I wish many people would read this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Daughter Of Kurdland.

October 10, 2019 – Started Reading