A.C. Flory's Reviews > Ian's Story

Ian's Story by Stephen Faulds

7196317

bookshelves: favourites

Quite frankly, my initial reaction to Ian's Story was a sort of stunned 'oh my god'. It really is that good. Not since reading Crime and Punishment have I read a psychological novel that delved so deeply into the psyche of a flawed man or made me feel so much compassion for a fictional character.

Ian is flawed and he does end up making an awful mistake, one that teeters on the edge of legal paedophilia, yet in exploring how and why he got to that point, Stephen Faulds makes it possible for us to forgive Ian even though he cannot seem to forgive himself.

Do not make the mistake of thinking that this novel is a justification or apology for paedophilia - it's not. Just as Crime and Punishment is not a justification for murder, Ian's Story is not a justification - its a journey, a journey that explores the crime, the punishment and the salvation that can result from such a descent into hell.

Following Ian on this journey is not a casual read. You will not dip into this book on a rainy weekend when you have nothing better to do. It will grab you and it will not let you go until the very last page because, for all his flaws, Ian's life will resonate with anyone who has ever searched for meaning in life, anyone who has ever been trapped by duty and the desire to 'do the right thing', anyone who has ever been lonely or fallen in love with an unattainable mirage. In short, anyone with a heartbeat and human DNA.

For the complete review please click here

Author : Stephen Faulds

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ian's Story.