rameau's Reviews > Timeless

Timeless by Gail Carriger

Mar 25, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: creatures-vampires, genre-whodunit, genre-steampunk, genre-historical, creatures-werewolves, series-warning, genre-romance, read-in-2011, language-english-original, rating-meh
Recommended to rameau by: Anachronist
Read from March 25 to 28, 2012

Instead of waiting years to see the Parasol Protectorate series to its conclusion, I've had the pleasure of reading all five books almost back to back within the space of few short weeks. And even in that time, the Tarabotti-Maccon magic has dissipated.

What started out as fairly entertaining, quick paced, whodunnit novel format, ended with this. A slow, dragging, death with few feeble laughs for the characters we used to love and a new author's baby eating up the pages. I could not care less about Prudence and I'm not interested in reading more about her–except maybe in the unlikely event that the so-far unpublished novel named after her is going to be about Biffy and Lyall instead.

The travelling part of the story worked in Blameless, because they advanced in fits and starts. Every stop advanced the overall plot somehow and added another new piece in the puzzle. In Timeless, the boat ride to Egypt is nothing but indulgent antics of the Maccons' daughter Prudence. Contrary to apparent evidence, I don't hate the little flayer; I hate the fact that she ends up devouring the book and making it boring. Running after a puppy can be entertaining only so many times.

I was told that the last hundred pages or so would be better and that was true. I was almost reminded of the old Alexia Tarabotti of Soulless but mostly I was entertained by the betas. (view spoiler) And yes, I'm looking for Biffy and Lyall fanfic, so please do send them my way.

Not the best ending for a comedy series, but an ending. Thanks for that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Timeless.

03/26/2012 page 153
45.0% "Five stars to the betas."
03/27/2012 page 189
55.0% "I'm so glad this series is ending but I now want a spin off centred around Biffy and Lyall. I couldn't care less about Prudence."