McKenzie's Reviews > Dying Wish

Mar 25, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: paranormal
Read from March 25 to 27, 2012

Oh boy was Jackie annoying. A giant pain in the ass. She whines and whines and whines that she wants to go back to her "real" life as a corporate nobody, rather than live and work with the Theronai as a badass. She is constantly characterized as someone who would never turn her back on someone in need, if she could help them, but she spends the whole book avoiding her responsibility and refusing to use her abilities TO HELP PEOPLE. It's infuriating the way she tries to avoid making commitments and then turns around and makes sweeping promises to people she hardly knows. I hate Jackie. I wanted to punch her in the face for several hundred pages. I don't understand why anyone would love someone who behaves and talks so selfishly, and only helps other people when they are about to be killed. Doesn't she realize that helping people now would keep them from almost (or completely) getting killed tomorrow?! Ugh. She totally fails to fulfill her character's potential. I understand why she is written into the series, but I don't understand how Butcher could have made her so unlovable. Badass abilities are no good if the person wielding them is a limp noodle.

That being said, the series is good and the worldbuilding continues to impress. Just skip this book and read the Wikipedia page instead.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dying Wish.