Andrew's Reviews > The Wheel of Time: Boxed Set

M 50x66
Mar 25, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy

Despite Brandon Sanderson's good work patching up the conlusion to this beast after the author died, I doubt I will ever read the newer ones or reread the early ones. Books 1-6 were really great back in '94 and still are quite decent. But book 7 started going downhill and book 8 was so poor that I tossed it after about 100 pages. He introduces quite a few too many new characters and spends a lot of time talking about the clothes they are wearing and the goblets of wine they sip. And then the books begin spending time with petty adolescent arguments between characters who are pouting and stalking off saying "I'll never talk to you again", etc. Rubbish. I was thinking what the heck, is this really the same author that wrote "The Eye of the World" which was quite good. And book 4, which was the best of the lot imho where Rand visits the Aiel and "sees through the eyes of his ancestors" - very cool stuff. What happened? I say don't waste your time with anything past book 6. Especially if, like me, you like Mat and dislike Perrin and his wife who began to annoy me with the henpecking.
However, as I stated, I found the first six books were quite strong. I was amazed at how Jordan tied myths and relics from our own world into his and often wondered if it was a future earth setting because of these arcane references to items, persons, and religious events from our own world. I kept wondering how he was going to tie all these ideas together. He did not and lost his way. I was sad at what happened starting approximately with book 7 and found myself wondering what caused the change where he is losing his sense of the large picture and being caught up with trivia.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wheel of Time.

message 1: by Andrew (last edited Sep 03, 2012 09:02PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Andrew Despite Brandon Sanderson's good work patching up the conlusion to this beast after the author died, I doubt I will ever read or re-read anything by Robert Jordan. Books 1-6 were really great back in '94 and still are quite decent. But book 7 started going downhill and book 8 was such a drag that I tossed it after about 100 pages. He introduces way too many new characters and spends lots of time talking about the clothes they are wearing and the goblets of wine they sip. And then the books begin spending time with petty adolescent arguments between characters who are pouting and stalking off saying "I'll never talk to you again", etc. Rubbish. I was thinking like what the heck, is this really the same author that wrote "The Eye of the World" which was quite good. And book 4, which was the best of the lot imho where Rand visits the Aiel and "sees through the eyes of his ancestors" - very cool stuff. What happened? I say don't waste your time with anything past book 6. Especially if, like me, you like Mat and dislike Perrin and his wife who began to annoy me with the henpecking.