Chris Huff's Reviews > Don't Fire Your Church Members: The Case for Congregationalism

Don't Fire Your Church Members by Jonathan Leeman

liked it

I think it's a good book, but I honestly can't say for sure. Much of the beginning of the book is too smart for me to always follow.

It's not that any one sentence is difficult to understand, it's just that some of the author's arguments are very clever. I've never considered congregationalism to follow from a covenantal theology. I don't even know if what I just wrote makes sense. I ain't that smarts.

The book does point out some obvious things, though, that continue to make me think congregationalism is the biblical model. The instructions given to Timothy and Titus. The priesthood of all believers. The instructions Jesus gave to His disciples about the church and church discipline. I think the author could have stuck to the clear stuff and would have made a stronger case.

But I'm probably wrong. After all, the author is obviously more clever than me.

The book does get easier to follow in the second half. In fact, I think the last couple pages of the book are some of the most clear, most convincing arguments for an elder-led form of congregationalism.

I was challenged to rethink how we approach congregationalism in my church. I was challenged to make more decisions in certain areas of church life, and less in others. I'm not sure I'll ever come back to this book as a guide, but it certainly challenged me and made me think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Fire Your Church Members.

Started Reading