Valerie's Reviews > Fantasy Lover

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy
Read in August, 2008

Fantasy Lover is a book rooted solidly in ancient Greek history. I quote:

Blessed by Aphrodite's divine touch, he [Julian of Macedon:] grew into such a man that no woman could deny him her body. For when it came to the Art of Love, he knew no equal -- his stamina far beyond that of any mere mortal man. His desires hot and wild, he could never be tamed.

Who knew mythology could be so hot interesting? I especially appreciated the capitalization used for emphasis in "the Art of Love". That's when I knew I was hooked.

All kidding aside, this is a sexy, sweet and humorous book that tells the story of Julian, a one-time Spartan warrior who unfortunately crossed a Greek god who trapped him a book where he waits until being called out to be a love-slave. He's then compelled to satisfy his master's every desire for a month until being returned once more to the book.

If that sounds good to you, keep reading. If not, go away because it's not going to get any better.

There were some really good parts in this book. Such as when he and Grace (his love-master that really wants to get to know him, not just bed him) takes him out to a club, where they dance:

Julian knew every step as if he'd been born to it. In fact, he had perfect moves, graceful, yet incredibly masculine and sexy. Grace had never seen anything like it. And judging by the envious glares the women around them were directing at her, she figured none of them ever had either.

Many women reading this review will now know why this book is called "Fantasy Lover" (emphasis on the "Fantasy"): it's obviously because Julian knows how to dance. And he's not a goofy dancer, either - no errant thumbs or mocking disco moves - he was graceful, yet incredibly masculine and sexy. Yup, that has fantasy written all over it.

As he and Grace get to know each other outside the bedroom, things get pretty tense. I don't want to give anything away, but the feelings that they're having get pretty strong as they continue to try to hold back from jumping each other, leading to one of the worst lines in the book:

Grace laughed as desire spread through her. How she really wished they had stayed home. She would love to strip Julian's clothes off his body and lick cheese from it for the rest of the night!

She was definitely going to add Cheez Whiz to her grocery list.

Yes, there were parts of this book that made me grimace, but those were mostly outweighed by the hot sex scenes. And like I said before, the story is sweet and funny, and at times even touching. If you're looking for a break (say, from Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49) this may be just the book you need.

There are a lot more books in this series (The Dark-Hunters) and I liked this one enough to read more of them. But I think I'll have to space them out a bit to avoid burn-out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fantasy Lover.

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim *wipes tears

Oh, Val, you just made my day....

I ♥ U

message 2: by Michelle (last edited Aug 15, 2008 12:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michelle Yes, but did the guy have 8-pack abs?
; )

Valerie I don't know... his abs definitely weren't the most memorable part of him.

message 4: by Valerie (last edited Aug 16, 2008 08:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Valerie Well Scott, you may know how to dance, but were you a Macedonian Warrior?
I thought not.

;)

message 5: by Valerie (last edited Aug 17, 2008 07:22AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Valerie Well Scott, you may know how to dance AND you may have boxed when you were a teenager, but were you ever a love-slave?

Wait - don't answer that.