Marguerite Gray's Reviews > Marisol: Spanish Rose

Marisol by Elva Cobb Martin

I was so excited to read this novel for many reasons. The historical element intrigues me as its set in colonial Charles Town, SC at a time when death is prevalent. Babies, children, and young wives dies from diseases and complications. Because of this the opportunity comes around often for second time love. How would it feel to not have the chance to live to an old age?

I love the Spanish element as Marisol travels from Spain hoping to start a new life in Cartagena. Her life takes a different path though finding herself indentured in Charles Town. I’m such an organized person finding comfort in charting my future. How would I have handled being an indentured servant when I’d been pampered all my life? Not so well, I’m afraid.

As seen by the lives of these characters in the first of the Charleston Brides Series, God has a plan even in the chaos. Life can get crazy and unpredictable. Through this journey with Marisol, I sense the ever-present need to cultivate a close and steady relationship with God. He can and does turn unfortunate situations into purposeful paths to Him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marisol.

October 9, 2019 – Shelved