Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)'s Reviews > The Babysitters Coven

The Babysitters Coven by Kate    Williams

bookshelves: horror-adjacent, ladies-of-horror

Just look at the cover of this book—it says it all! Pink with a dash of witchy glamour.

This is a witty, modern mashup of all the best dramatic and best friend elements of The Babysitter’s Club series, the black humor and witchery of The Coven, and the crime-fighting badassery of Buffy. If you loved My Best Friend's Exorcism, this book should be added to your TBR immediately, if not sooner (as my high school English teacher was wont to say).

I loved every page. Williams’s writing is so relatable and was constantly making me giggle. I don’t know how actual high schoolers would feel about her depictions, but for me (about ten years removed from those glory days)they felt so spot on.

Esme and her pal Janis are such a pair—I loved the way they discussed their fashion choices each day a la Clueless—"Today Janis was 'Denise gets a stepdaughter,' and I was 'Sylvia Plath goes to prom.'" Add in an adorably cuddly pit bull named Pig, the inflammatory *wink* personality of Cassandra, the woes of high school, and the most inventively fun magic spells I’ve ever read about, and this is an adventure that had me setting aside all my responsible adulting to find out what was going to happen.

This book is lite on the horror and heavy on the fun, but the witchy elements will definitely appeal to speculative and black comedy crowd. If you are into any of the pop culture references from above, you’ll probably dig this one. It certainly stands alone as a brilliant story, but it also leaves the door open for a sequel—which is already on the way!

I am really getting into YA horror!

My thanks to Delacorte Press for my copy of this one to read and review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Babysitters Coven.

Started Reading