Bre Teschendorf's Reviews > The Madness of Miss Grey

The Madness of Miss Grey by Julia Bennet

I really enjoyed this book ... Honestly, I was surprised how much I enjoyed it, because it was a completely new genre for me, not something I would normally ever pick-up. Mainly because, in my experience modern fiction is just SO badly written.
This was really the exception; the writing is excellent. One is carried along naturally, no adjectives are over used, there aren't a bunch of boring old over-used metaphores. The story is well thought out and doesn't feel flimsy .... (Except, you know, when it should because - let's face it - most sex-scenes given to us in literature or by Holywood are flimsy as anything!)

Without wanting to spoil the story - the book is about a romance between a woman and her doctor. I was very happy with the doctor's self-control and that he didn't seriously cross any lines with his patient. I think I would have had to throw the book out - or seriously question it - otherwise.

My only contention with the book was the constant reference to the heroine as manipulative. I suppose she was trying to manipulate the doctor - but her motive was self-preservation! I don't therefore think of her whole character basely manipulative. And I had a hard time thinking of her as such... It felt unfair.

Also, of course, there are some explicit sex scenes in this book. If that isn't obvious from the cover,.. Then I don't know what. The sex I could have lived without; on the other hand, it wasn't as bad as I imagined it would be. And I will definitely read Julia Bennet's next novel when it comes out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Madness of Miss Grey.

Finished Reading