Paige Worrall 's Reviews > Timothy Mean and the Time Machine

Timothy Mean and the Time Machine by William A.E. Ford

4198057

bookshelves: children-s-books

Timothy Mean and the Time Machine is a wonderfully illustrated adventure with everything a child could want hidden within the pages including, dinosaurs, pirates, and Vikings!

The book starts with Timothy, bored of his usual toys, inventing a time machine out of everyday items such as cardboard and glue. With his invention being successful he travels to a different time period every day. As hinted in his last name ‘Mean’ Timothy usually does something mischievous to the people he is visiting. This has a very comical effect which I believe would encourage a lot of laughs from children. Whilst I was unsure about the illustrations when I first looked at the front cover, I was pleasantly surprised by the work of Marcelo Simonetti’s richly detailed art which worked to really engross me in the narrative and will defiantly engross children as well!

The story follows Timothy through each day of the week with the author first asking, ‘Where shall we travel in time today?’ before following with a verse mostly made up of rhyming couplets, although there is the odd exception, describing the various scenarios in which Timothy finds himself.

This kind of structure will work well, when the book is used in group reads at home or in libraries, as the use of an open question to introduce each new day gives ample opportunity for the reader to really interact and engage with their young audience. However, I do think some of the verses are quit long and may be difficult for some children reading this book by themselves.

Overall, I would recommend this book to parents looking for something that children can really get into. This book is jammed packed with literally everything a child could want out of a science fiction/fantasy picture book and will really encourage them to use their imaginations!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Timothy Mean and the Time Machine.

October 9, 2019 – Started Reading