N's Reviews > If I Never Met You

If I Never Met You by Mhairi McFarlane

Laurie’s long term partner Dan dumps her out of the blue for “reasons”. Not long after she finds out he’s seeing someone new, has basically been cheating on her for 6 months and the new girlfriend is pregnant. Poor Laurie has to deal with the fallout of this which is made worse by the fact that they work together. Enter Jamie after a random incident and the idea of the fake relationship is born (to make Dan jealous and to help Jamie progress at their law firm).

Loved ( in no particular order)

- Laurie so great. I thought she dealt with the fallout of the end of her relationship with a lot more grace than most would considering the circumstances. She was funny, smart and felt very genuine from her understandably starting to question everything about herself and her wariness of Jamie. Loved that she came out the other end stronger, sure of the real people worth keeping in her life, and ready to let go of the ones who failed to appreciate her awesome until it was too late.

- Jamie was wonderful. Funny and self assured, cocky at points but cheeky enough for you not hate him for it. There was a lot of depth and vulnerability as well to him which was great.

- Jamie and Laurie together. The evolution of their relationship was handled so well, from sort of colleagues/ strangers to actual friends then possibly more. I love a fauxmance and this one was handled perfectly. Great chemistry and witty dialogue.

- Emily, Nadia, Bharat and Di were great side characters. Emily/Laurie friendship was 😍 and

- The leading lady being a woc. As a woc myself it’s always awesome when you see well written representation in books like this. I personally appreciated that Laurie’s character was so much more than just her race and that even though race was a part of who she was and her story it didnt end up being the entirety of it.

Loved to hate

- Office gossip hell and fake friend groups. This thing where some people think that just because they spend x amount of hours with you at work they are allowed to know every minute detail of your life baffles me. Plus the schadenfreude they have when things go wrong for someone.

- Dan and Michael. Entitled sexist bullying jerks. Honestly if I were Laurie and Jamie l I would have marched the pair of them to HR and made them explain why they thought their behaviour was even remotely acceptable.

As usual from Mhairi an engaging story from start to finish. Definitely a must read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Never Met You.

October 8, 2019 – Shelved