Jena Henry's Reviews > Finding Miranda

Finding Miranda by Iris Chacon

Quirky? Witty? A breath of fresh? I can think of many adjectives to describe why I loved Finding Miranda. Turns out that author Iris Chacon has the best description for her book- Finding Miranda is dessert after a week of broccoli and kale. Here is Ms.Chacon’s bio on Amazon. Reading it will give you a sense of the author and her books:

“From parking tickets to Income Tax instructions, there is plenty of "required reading" in our lives. My goal is to provide quick, easy, fun reads for those times when we need a vacation from current events. Laughter is good medicine -- for body, mind, and spirit. All the nonfiction we have to read each day is our broccoli. An Iris Chacon novel is pure dessert. Reading is our cheapest, fastest, most effective and accessible tool for exploring the universe. I've been to Nebraska and I've been to the planet called Dune. I've seen the outsides and insides of real and fictional people. And I've become whoever I wanted to be in every story I entered. Fellow Trekkies, remember Mr. Spock telling Captain Kirk, "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for play"? Well, our 21st century world has become so complex that our minds can't even keep up -- and diversion is more important than ever to our mental health. That's why I write novels designed to divert our busy minds from our grimy streets, dusty houses, dirty laundry, unwashed kids and unbathed dishes -- or maybe the other way around -- and Internal Revenue forms. Grab an Iris Chacon novel! Come play with me!”

Are you ready to play? Finding Miranda is part romance, part mystery and all entertainment. Miranda inherits her aunt’s home in in the tiny, rural Florida town of Minokee in Little Cypress National Forest. Minokee doesn’t have air conditioning, sidewalks or a downtown. But, it does have good neighbors who like to sit on their porches- old ladies and one gorgeous Adonis.

Miranda has lived the quiet life of a librarian. Except for one special person, nobody sees her, she just blends in. But she’s spunkier than you might think as she gets to know everyone, including Dave and Shep. One of them is a dog.

Turns out there are some bad guys in Florida’s government and Miranda and her new friends get swept up in the cross-fire. Warning: there are shotguns, fires, and explosions!

“Them fellers picked the wrong place ta do their mischief in. We takes care of our own in Minokee.”

I don’t want to give away any spoilers and the fun of reading this book is discovering all the odd and colorful characters and their trials and tribulations. The author has a wonderful way with words. This is a light-hearted read with a powerful message. You may get misty when Miranda finds herself in a “change-the-things-I can” situation. So, it’s like a dessert that’s good for you!

There is a second book in the series, and I hope more are coming. Thanks to to NetGalley and BooksGoSocial for a review cop. This is my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finding Miranda.

Finished Reading