Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)'s Reviews > The Last Seance: Tales of the Supernatural

The Last Seance by Agatha Christie

bookshelves: ladies-of-horror, horror, short-stories

“There are certain places imbued and saturated with good or evil influences which can make their power felt.”

Though I’ve read many of her novels, I am a newcomer to Christie’s short stories. She is a consummate storyteller, whether in the long or short form! I so thoroughly enjoyed the spooky atmosphere as well as the variety of different settings, characters, and stories offered here.

You will also see a few familiar faces, as Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple make appearances in a few of the stories. See them solve crime at lightning speed!

I think what I loved most about these stories is that Christie doesn’t shy away from the supernatural. Though her novels contain spectacular and strange crimes, there is always a logical explanation once all the details get straightened out. That isn’t always the case with these short stories. There are some mystical, unexplainable things at work, and those stories were some of my favorites!

Favorites include:
“The Last Séance”—a spooky, atmospheric tale about a medium and the dangerous strength of her powers.

“S.O.S.”—a weird tale that is almost Angela Carter-esque following a man who seeks shelter with a strange family.

“The Strange Case of Sir Arthur Carmichael”—a creepy old house and a mysterious cat: this is a strange and dark story!

“The Dressmaker’s Doll”—a doll that moves around, seemingly on its own? Nope, no thank you!

I’ve been enjoying this collection all month long, reading a story every night or so, and this is the perfect story collection for celebrating our favorite spooky month.

My thanks to William Morrow for my copy of this one to read and review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Seance.

October 8, 2019 – Started Reading