Kathy - Books & Munches's Reviews > The Sky is Mine

The Sky is Mine by Amy Beashel

bookshelves: arc-s, releases-2020

TRIGGERS: (view spoiler) [There are a LOT.]

As is custom in my reviews, I want to address the writing first. Especially since it took some getting used to on my part. One of my first notes when reading this book consisted of me pointing out that the sentences are sometimes very long. It made Izzy's voice a rambling mess in my head. The thing is, though, that I got used to it, I got used to Izzy and it stopped bothering me before reaching the halfway point of the story. So, yes, it took some getting used to, but it also shows how Izzy - our main character - has her own, unique voice.

Then.. What to talk about next.. I'm honestly having a very hard time writing this review because this book contains so, so much and was such a heart-wrenching and hard read. It's hard to put into words how The Sky Is Mine made me feel. Yes, I had to stop reading often. Very often. But that wasn't a bad thing at all. Some of you know, others will now know how rape is a part of my past. I am a survivor so reading books about rape culture is tough for me, always. But I love seeing it represented in books and I love how it makes me feel like I turned out okay. How I reclaimed myself. How I moved past it as much as I possibly could.

But that's not the only hard thing that's mentioned. On the contrary. I mentioned it all in my triggers at the top of this review, so I won't be repeating it all. The one thing I do want to highlight is the abuse. Not only physical, but also mental. Not only by others, but also by a person living with Izzy. It's like the hard subjects, the harder parts of life are everywhere in this book and.. I truly love it for that.

Although the focus isn't on Grace, Izzy's best friend, I did appreciate her person. Apart from her, and her girlfriend, being queer, she also has a bigger part in this story. Yes, at first you might not like her. I know I didn't. But we also see her growth throughout the story and by the end of it, I ended up loving her. Although not at much as Izzy.
Then there's Izzy's mom. Without spoiling anything, let's just say the admiration is here. I feel like I see too little of strong parents, of growing parents in books. Most of the time they're just there - sort of. Not in The Sky Is Mine though.

I guess all I have to say is.. I loved every word of this book. It's a tough read to get through, but it's one that's needed in this world. It's one needed to realize you can overcome things when they don't seem like it at all. The Sky Is Mine tore my heart straight out, smashed it to pieces, had me crying and had me feeling relieved and happy at the end of it. Definitely an emotional roller coaster ride worth taking.

5 / 5!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sky is Mine.

October 8, 2019 – Shelved