Karen's Reviews > Little Weirds

Little Weirds by Jenny Slate

190448

"In the last light of a long day, I sit on a chair on my porch and watch the sky drain colors down and out and I realize I want to hear my voice and only mine. Not the voice of my voice within a cacophony of old pains. Just mine, now."

I am loath to ever give a book a low number of stars, especially a memoir. Books are so much work and come from a place deep in one's soul. And who am I to judge that? And at the same time, there are books that connect with me and books that don't. This doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the book, or me. It just means that at this juncture of our lives, in this moment, this book and I are not connecting. And instead of attaching a bad rating to that, I decided to give it no rating.

"I was pleased that she made sure. Because in making sure, Kathleen gave me the opportunity to say out loud to another person that I would like my old dog to have flowers stuck to his face, and when I said it out loud—that yes, I would like that—I knew it was true. Then I admired myself. What’s more, I felt tenderness about my personality and my choices for delight. I said who I was, on my land."

I didn't know anything about Jenny Slate before I read this book. I don't watch the TV show she's famous for and I had no idea what to expect from this book. It's a most unusual style. I'd say if you don't like magical realism, you will have a tough time with this book but I love magical realism and yet I still had a tough time. It's maybe more on the eclectic/absurd as well as magical realism.

"I know what I want to hear when I hear myself in this life, and I am feeling very certain that there is absolutely no good reason to ever be disrespectful, no matter how upset you are. I do not need to hear bullying voices ever again and there is no reason to ever do that sort of emotional violence to anyone."

There were definitely beautiful and resonant moments in it. Thoughts around loneliness, belonging, and kindness. And I will remember these and leave the others.

With gratitude to netgalley and Little, Brown and Company for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Weirds.

October 8, 2019 – Started Reading