D.K. Hundt's Reviews > Spy

Spy by Danielle Steel

bookshelves: netgalley

I have admittedly not read a Danielle Steel book in many years, and though I enjoy reading Historical Fiction novels, SPY didn’t tick off all the boxes for me. The first part of the book takes place during World War II, wherein the main character, Alexandra Wickham, is hired to be a Spy for the SOE; meager wages for the danger she faces, but to be paid more would raise suspicion.

It’s for the love of her country – the survival and freedom of England – that gives reason to why young Alex would risk her own life as a Spy, and for that, I admire her. It is during the first half of the novel that these scenes, wherein Alex put into harm’s way for a cause more important than her well-being, that felt glossed over, and more so in the second half of the book after the war, which felt more like a telling of events than an engaging story.

Did I love, SPY? No. Am I going to read more of Danielle Steel’s books? Of course! I believe there are at least three or four Steel novels scheduled to release at the beginning of next year, and I’m looking forward to reading them.

Thank you, NetGalley and Delacorte Press, for letting me borrow an advance copy (eBook) of SPY in exchange for an honest review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spy.

October 7, 2019 – Shelved