Swankivy's Reviews > The Boy Who Reversed Himself

The Boy Who Reversed Himself by William Sleator

Aug 13, 2008

bookshelves: favoritebooks
Read in January, 1991

All of William Sleator's books are good science fiction for young people, even though most of them take overdone subjects for yet another ride. Sleator somehow does it differently and in a more character-oriented fashion.

This one's about alternate dimensions. A girl discovers a really interesting secret about her neighbor, and she steps into a whole new world . . . literally! The fourth dimension is all around us, on top of us, and if you know how to do it, you can go there and see the world differently. Unfortunately, you can also get lost in the scary 4-D world. Oh, guess what happens to her? Yeah.

I loved that the main character was no model citizen--she manipulated her neighbor and had crap values sometimes, and, ya know, almost really screwed lots of things up. I also liked the depiction of 4-space and the descriptions of how things would look if you only had three dimensions to your body but were forced to deal with a "fourth" dimension. Even though some of the science kinda doesn't make sense really, I thought it was a really intriguing concept.

After reading this book I really wanted ketchup to taste like pudding. You'll see why if you read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boy Who Reversed Himself.

message 1: by DJ (new)

DJ Harris "I really wanted ketchup to taste like pudding."

Yuck! Lol.