Sarah's Reviews > King Solomon's Mines

King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard

liked it
bookshelves: 1800s, africa, very-mild-romance, audiobook, classic, classics-with-kelsey, 2019reads

This book is very violent, has several crude references including (view spoiler) With that said, I did enjoy many aspects of this story.

The writing was amazing. Haggard's talent has not been exaggerated. His style appeals to me a lot. I loved the classic adventurer feel. I laughed every time Allen called himself a coward because he never acted like one.

Many people are concerned about the racism found in this book. Having read some books I wanted to burn written around the same time because they were so ugly in their racism, I was pretty amazed at this book. Yes, it has thoughts and attitudes that are sad to see. However, for the time, he showed a wide range of the peoples of Africa. He showed there were noble, caring people. He showed the depth and breadth of characters that are found the world over. I think unlike some literature of the time, he was trying to show the Africans could be good as well as bad. I would still say that go into it with your eyes open because the racism is there.

While not the greatest book, I enjoyed it and might even read more in the series. I would not recommend it for everyone though.
The edtion narrated by B.J. Harrison is splendid.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King Solomon's Mines.

October 7, 2019 – Shelved
October 7, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
October 10, 2019 – Started Reading
October 14, 2019 –
85.0% "Okay, this was kinda fun, but also it has been violent and has some crude descriptions. I probably won't read anymore."
October 14, 2019 – Finished Reading