Sarah's Reviews > Firmament: No Man

Firmament by J. Grace Pennington

bookshelves: 2019reads, europe, future, homeschool-author, on-my-kindle, sci-fi, youth-ya, no-romance

ge Appropriate For: 13 and up for violence, mildly scary scenes.
Best for Ages: 13 - 25

This story is exhilarating, heart-breaking, faith-building, tear-jerking, inspiring, and so much more. Do I have your attention? Good. This book, this series, has been a favorite since book one. Not only is this clean sci-fi, it masterful story-telling.

I think Pennington has reached a new level in her writing. While her story-telling abilities have always been great, this book had a new quality to it that just shines. She has always done a wonderful job of pulling emotion out of both her characters and her readers. However, this book just stood out to me as her best at emotion yet.
We get to meet some new characters, most notably to me was Book. While I don’t want to give anything about the plot away, let’s just say I like this very quirky character right from the beginning. I apricated how he handled Andi

Andi herself is not the same girl from book one. In fact, there are a couple of times in this book that she doesn’t act very lovable. However, under the top-secret-I-will-give-no-spoilers circumstances, I think everyone will understand why Andi acts the way she does.

The faith element of this story shown brightly. There is faith and doubt, trust and suspicion, hope and tears. Yet, more then any of the other books in the series yet, faith was the solid foundation for some of the characters. It just goes to show you that when times are tough, that is when our faith shines. Now, not every struggle by every character is tied up with a neat bow. However, this book is encouraging and faith-building while being very honest that it’s hard to trust God at times.

The story took several unexpected twists. I had a serious book hangover. I was grateful my sister had read it two days before me because we were able to console each other. Yet, even though part of this book was sad, it still was very satisfying.

I highly recommend to those who enjoy clean sci-fi stories, solid YA fiction, and stories that keep you guessing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firmament.

October 7, 2019 – Shelved
October 7, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
October 16, 2019 – Started Reading
October 19, 2019 –
25.0% "I will not stay up all night reading this...I probably won't... I mean I have church tomorrow... *so tempted to stay up all night reading this*"
October 19, 2019 –