Diane S ☔'s Reviews > Hero of the Empire: The Boer War, a Daring Escape, and the Making of Winston Churchill

Hero of the Empire by Candice Millard

bookshelves: 5000-2019, lor-2019

A young Churchill and the Boar War, neither of which I knew anything about before reading this book.
This author does such a great job explaining people and events, making them understandable and exciting. Who the Boars were, their history with Great Britain, why the war was fought and the consequences of this war. Churchill's quest to make a name for himself, his self confidence in his future prospects and ability to maneuver in all situations were shown here, and of course later these skills would be paramount.

A few surprises, starting with his capture, I was astonished at how well these prisoners were treated. Given a change of clothes, decent food, cots to sleep on, Churchill even purchased a suit while being held captive. The amount of luxeries, the upper class British took to war, everything from gourmet food to a prodigious amount of liquor, servants and even a Butler. Was also surprised that many did not like Churchill, although they recognized he would be somebody someday. He also wasn't trusted to keep his mouth shut about the escape, which he didn't and it didn't happen the way it was planned anyway. His escape was harrowing, a propacious series of events one can chalk up to God, fate or just pure luck.

Also enjoyed the few bits of trivia, such as the origins of the trench coat and the word sniper. I enjoy this author and the way history is treated, interesting not dry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hero of the Empire.

October 7, 2019 – Started Reading
page 425
October 11, 2019 – Shelved as: 5000-2019
October 11, 2019 – Shelved as: lor-2019
October 11, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by Angela M (new)

Angela M I keep learning from your reviews of non fiction! Terrific, Diane.

Porter Broyles You know where the word sharpshooter came from right?

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine How interesting, Diane! I am now off to google the Boar War.

message 4: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda This one sounds like one that I would really enjoy, Diane! I am adding it thanks to your intriguing review! Thanks!

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen Sounds fascinating....and unusual. Great review, Diane

message 6: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Having a butler in prison. LOL 😊

message 7: by Dem (new)

Dem Thanks Diane, this one interests me too. Great review.

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Terrific review, Diane! 💞💞

message 9: by Libby (new)

Libby Wonderful review, Diane! I had no idea that Churchill had been captured and held as a POW. Fascinating!