D.K. Hundt's Reviews > The Holdout

The Holdout by Graham Moore

bookshelves: netgalley

‘Fifteen-year-old Jessica Silver, heiress to a billion-dollar real estate fortune, vanishes on her way home from school, and her teacher, Bobby Nock, a twenty-five-year-old African American man, is the prime suspect...It’s an open-and-shut case for the prosecution, and a quick conviction seems all but guaranteed—until Maya Seale, a young woman on the jury, convinced of Nock’s innocence, persuades the rest of the jurors to return the verdict of not guilty, a controversial decision that will change all their lives forever.’

WOW, that ending I have to admit shocked me and irritated me at the same time, even though I knew deep down-as I eagerly flipped through the pages-exactly how a few parts of this twisted murder mystery would play out, I was hoping beyond hope that I would be wrong - My heart!!

THE HOLDOUT is told using two timelines woven together (which I liked), the first being 2019 wherein, ten years after the trial that changed the lives of twelve people forever including that of fellow juror Maya Seale-now Defense Attorney, who quickly finds herself in need of representation after being arrested for murder.

I don’t want to give too much away about the narrative, I will say that suspension of disbelief in some parts may be required, but that didn’t stop me from enjoying this novel, though other readers opinions may differ.

Thank you, NetGalley and Random House Publishing, for loaning me an advance eBook of THE HOLDOUT in exchange for an honest review.

Available now for preorder and scheduled to release on February 18, 2020.

Two more books that I can’t wait to read by Graham Moore, THE LAST DAYS OF NIGHT, and THE SHERLOCKIAN.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Holdout.

October 7, 2019 – Shelved