Shelley Wilson's Reviews > The Mermaid and the Bear

The Mermaid and the Bear by Ailish Sinclair

What a beautiful book! Historical romance is not my preferred genre to read but I’m committed to stepping out of my reading rut and was hooked in by the blurb and promise of faery castles and misty locks. I was swept up by Isobell’s story and the flow of the prose.

The plot was well developed and follows Isobell’s story as she sails to Scotland to escape a wicked man. We’re introduced to a colourful cast of characters from the motherly cook, Bessie Thom, to the charismatic Thomas Manteith whose combined actions lull you into a false sense of contentment. As I was reading about the joyous developments for Isobell there was this undercurrent that told me something was about to change.

The twist at the end was brutal, graphic, and yes, I shed a tear or two. I’ve always been fascinated by the stories of the witchcraft trials, and to see how easy it was for lives to be changed forever is quite sobering. Fabulously descriptive, The Mermaid and The Bear was a delight to read. There were moments when I felt like I’d stepped into an episode of Outlander, which is no bad thing. The Scottish phrases adding to the beauty of the story.

I may have found a new favourite genre!

My review of The Mermaid and The Bear was provided for Rosie Amber’s Book Review Team. I received a copy of the book by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mermaid and the Bear.

October 7, 2019 – Started Reading
October 7, 2019 – Shelved
October 7, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

MaryannC. Book Freak Enjoyed your review, need to add this one :)