Belinda's Reviews > Pop. 1280

92098
Mar 25, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, detective-noir-fiction

So this was my second Jim Thompson in almost as many days---I enjoyed this book===like the first I read, The Killer Inside Me, it has a unique and easy to read style. I think I referred to it as loping in my last review and this one was the same--told once again in the first person, a way I find extremely quick to read for some reason. My big complaint here is that it is almost exactly the same as The Killer Inside Me--insane lawman, extremely dull headed people in a small town, similar setting, and very similar ending. Even two characters of a similar type shared the name Amy. Now I am not one to go picking--I am not pretentious (it's my biggest pet peeve) and I will sit reading a Mad magazine and cracking up as easily as I will read an in depth biography of Charles the II or Elizabeth the First---but this one really had the feel of someone re-writing a book they already had written. I like Thompson's style a lot (except for the racism and sexism of course--which are of the time and at least I feel that in the case of the racism it is subtly insinuated that people with this attitude are backwards.), so I will give him another chance--but if the third book I read has so much in common in terms of the storyline, that will be my last.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pop. 1280.