Bookgirl86's Reviews > Fractured Prophecy

Fractured Prophecy by P.J. McDermott

U 50x66

Commander Hickory Lace may have survived the explosion of the Arc spaceship, but it left a scar on her heart. Now Hickory is grieving the loss of her mentor, her child, and the life she might have had.
In the distant future, Earth is nothing like it once was. The everlasting religious war that we've been slaves to since the beginning of time finally culminated in a nuclear war that lasted ten years and changed the landscape of the planet.
After the war ended, a long, dark time set in, where human and animal life floundered and almost died off completely. Only recently have things rebounded. As it has done several times in the past, humanity is slowly recovering from near destruction. And so, it seems, is Hickory.
But when she is asked to take a mission to discover what is left of the escape pod from the Arc, she's unsure whether she should go. The mission could take an emotional toll that Hickory isn't prepared to accept, but not going might mean the end of the delicate peace that humanity has struggled to create.
McDermott writes with such a sweeping grandiosity that I was pulled in from the very first page. The vision of a futuristic Earth that he has created is detailed and expansive in just the way that makes for a great sci-fi novel. Hickory is not only a fascinating character, but a great representation of women in sci-fi at a time when I feel like those stories are sorely needed in our world.
This story is the fourth in the 'Prosperine' series by McDermott and I have not read the others but the author did a great job breaking down everything that you need to know about the world in the first few chapters without turning it into a boring info-dump. And I definitely plan to read the other books now!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fractured Prophecy.

Finished Reading