Jena Henry's Reviews > Johnny Be Good

Johnny Be Good by Bernadette  Walsh

Wow! You know that feeling- when you are walking out of a movie and you are still lost in the story and it’s hard to snap back to real life? That’s what this women’s fiction did to me. Call it all the usual adjectives- brutal, searing, honest, painful- you will never forget Peggy, Sean, Veronica or Rose.

Author Bernadette Walsh describes her books, “While I've hopped around genres from humorous romance to serious women's fiction, all of my books to date have a common theme: strong women handling what life throws at them the best way they can.” Peggy is the Irish-American mother in this story who married visiting Irishman Sean Lynch when she became pregnant. After their first child, they had twins and settled in to their life on Rose Hill Road on Long Island and had the usual ups and downs.

But when life becomes even bumpier, Peggy copes with alcohol and the family, which now includes Johnny and Veronica, begins to fracture. This story is told in the first person, mainly by Peggy and Veronica. The author shines as a storyteller- the characters are vivid and real. Veronica’s passion for Irish dancing is a rich part of the story. Neighbor Rose adds a kind touch to the troubled lives of the Lynch family.

I wish I could say that this story gave me hope or that it had a happy ending. It does have the best ending it could have, but this is a troubling and bleak story and could be triggering for some. There are frequent typos, but this story is so overwhelming, they are not a problem. If you like strong characters and honest and real stories, I recommend this book. Thanks to BooksGoSocial and NetGalley for a digital review copy. This is my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Johnny Be Good.

Finished Reading