Jeeves Reads Romance's Reviews > (Not) The One

(Not) The One by Donna Alam

Chemistry that sizzles

Pretty sure I experienced every emotion imaginable while reading this book. It is extremely well written (and decidedly British), with characters that are complex and interesting. While I’ve read many books about one night stands turned into more, I’ve never read a book quite like this one. It’s sensual and sexy, starting off with great banter and sex, slowly moving into the serious side of things. We watch as James and Miranda’s relationship evolves from a rebound to a relationship, building off the fire that was there the moment they met.

The story follows Miranda, a 22-year-old whose fiancé cheated a few months back. She’s just getting past the mourning stage, and is ready to move forward. After a hysterical run-in with the sexy guy next door to the house she’s cat-sitting at, she finds herself having her first one night stand. It is unlike anything she could’ve hoped for, but when she wakes up alone in the morning she’s realizes it’s for the best. While James is no doubt a sexy, charming and handsome man that she has insane chemistry with, there are too many differences between them to even consider something real. But as they run in to each other again weeks later, the chemistry is still there and James doesn’t seem so convinced that they couldn’t work out. That’ll all be put to the test when Miranda discovers that their night together had some lingering effects.

I’ve never read a book by this author before, but the cover and blurb intrigued me. I knew as soon as I started reading that I was in for a great time. The writing had me hooked, engrossing me in the story as I got to know these two. There’s a little of everything - it starts off light, with plenty of humor, banter and some seriously sexy times. As the story moves along, things get deeper, more emotional and heavier, but the underlying lightness doesn’t go away completely. I loved taking the journey with these two and will definitely have to check out more by the author in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read (Not) The One.

Started Reading