Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)'s Reviews > Tragedy Queens: Stories Inspired by Lana del Rey & Sylvia Plath

Tragedy Queens by Lisa Marie Basile

bookshelves: ladies-of-horror, horror-adjacent, short-stories

A story collection inspired by Sylvia Plath and Lana del Rey? Ummm, color me intrigued.

There is such a wide variety of unusual stories in this collection, and I loved that. The authors all took on the theme and gave it their own unique twist with Sylvia and Lana serving as more of spiritual guides for the stories rather than taking over the tale entirely. In the best stories, it is just like you can sense their influence.

My favorite thing about reading anthologies is uncovering voices I’ve never read before. This anthology definitely has that, but there were also a bunch of familiar names in here and all of them were interesting!

What I didn’t expect when I bought this is that it would be more of a horror collection than anything else, so that was an excellent surprise. Most of these stories are dark, often dealing with themes of loss and death. They are visceral and cutting and range from realism to sci-fi.

I definitely recommend this book for fans of horror stories that are off the beaten path.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tragedy Queens.

Started Reading