Kirk Plankey's Reviews > Memoirs of a Geisha

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Mar 24, 2012

I had the (good, perhaps interesting fortune) to have not noticed that this book was a work of fiction until at the closing of the book. It was a fair bit of a disorienting dillema to have thought that I was listening to a real biography and that to have the veil lifted at the end to show the "man behind the curtain". It was actually a very great experiment, that one could not plan, in how our (read mine here) mindset behaves in certain, albeit subtle ways when we are reading a certain type of genre or when we think we know that the author is male or female, young or old. Then when you find out the truth you have a bit of a psychic whirlwind as your mind now adjusts from what it thought was the reality about the book to the new updated reality. I had a similar experience when reading Huxleys's "Brave New World." I for some reason had thought that this book was written as part of the "Beatnik" movement of the 50's only to finish it (I listened to it in unabridged audio) and then find out that it was actually written back in 1931, WOW stunning to think that he saw and thought this twenty to thirty years ahead of what I had assumed.

I cannot testify to the historical veriacity of this book, but I did enjoy the writting as well as the characters, it is definitely a nice solid read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memoirs of a Geisha.

message 1: by Falak (last edited Apr 17, 2012 12:57AM) (new) - added it

Falak Ibrahim Hey Kirk... Thanks for sharing your thoughts 'bout this book. I had been going "Should I read this?" and "Guess, I'll go for it later!" for quite some time indeed. The reviews I went through were not really able to satisfy my quest. But yours certainly did. And now I'm pretty convinced that I should read this book.. Cheers!!!

Kirk Plankey Thank you Falak, although it was actually light on the review portion and more a sharing of a reading experience that I found very interesting and enlightening. I am happy though that you found it useful and liked it. Good reading to you!!!

Nathan Mills I had the same the experience. I thought I was reading a biography--and when I realized it was a novel (after I had finished), then I felt like the main character had died! Very sad.

Marius Hancu While reading Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden, you may want to see my questions related to it as answered in the alt.usage.english (AUE) Usenet newsgroup. My thanks to the participating AUE members. The focus of my questions was the language: rare words, funny or original expressions, special or strange constructs — as I saw them, from within my own idiosyncrasies.

Kirk Plankey Marius wrote: "While reading Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden, you may want to see my questions related to it as answered in the alt.usage.english (AUE) Usenet newsgroup. My thanks to the participa..."

Thanks Marius