Sandra Jackson's Reviews > Magister's Bane

Magister's Bane by Yvette Bostic

bookshelves: fantasy, shifter, supernatural, vampire, mage

4.5 Stars

AJ Johnson lacks confidence in herself and hides her disfigured appearance under a scarf. Barely surviving on her own after being fired a week earlier, AJ’s luck changes when a phone call promises new employment. After a quick and strange interview, she is hired and is to begin her new housekeeping position the following day.

When AJ arrives at her new post, she is ushered upstairs. Feeling unnerved, AJ soon realizes that she is in trouble when she is locked inside a room, and she is not alone. From here on, AJ is thrust into the world of the supernatural where vampires, mages and shifters exist. A world she never thought was real and only belonged in books. But AJ’s adventure is just beginning as she realizes she’s not just among creatures from folklore, fantasy, and fairy tales; she is one of them.

I enjoyed this fantasy story, finding it a quick and easy read. The plot and characters are interesting and likeable, and I found myself rooting for a pairing among the characters. The story is well-written and the description allows for good imagery. The only drawback for me was the ending. While I understand the story continues in the next book, the end of book was not as satisfying of an ending I would have liked.

I do recommend this story to anyone who enjoys fantasy novels with vampires, mages, and shifters, and I look forward to reading the second book of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magister's Bane.

October 4, 2019 – Started Reading