Luke Burrage's Reviews > Recursion

Recursion by Blake Crouch

liked it
bookshelves: recommended-by-sfbrp-listeners, reviewed-on-the-sfbrp

There are many problems with time-looping stories, or at least problems with setting them up when the author thinks the time-looping is a genre indicator, not a story-telling device. In the first story iteration, before the first loop starts, the content has to stand on its own as an example of the actual genre. Groundhog Day is funny before Bill Murray ever resets. Edge of Tomorrow is a good war movie before Tom Cruise ever resets.

Recursion is a detective mystery until the first reset... and then goes through three other genres before the end of the book. But not in a satisfying way, but in a badly-written-author-doesn't-understand-the-problems-with-time-looping kind of way.

Full review on my podcast, SFBRP episode #410.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Recursion.

October 4, 2019 – Shelved
October 4, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
October 4, 2019 – Shelved as: recommended-by-sfbrp-listeners
October 19, 2019 – Started Reading
October 19, 2019 – Shelved as: reviewed-on-the-sfbrp
October 24, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Colin (new) - added it

Colin Forbes Thanks for the podcast review. I had tagged this as a possible read, but after listening I reminded myself that I'd already read one imperfectly executed parallel universes story by the same author ('Dark Matter') and probably don't need to add another one as a matter of priority.

message 2: by Søren (new)

Søren Truelsen Agreed - A dare though:

For the next review of a book with a “time-element”, I dare you and Juliana to do the podcast without referencing :
“Groundhog’s day”, “Edge of tomorrow” and “Minding Tomorrow”.

If you do that Ill learn how to juggle with 4 objects.

message 3: by Søren (new)

Søren Truelsen Forgot to mention, your praises for “The Light Brigade” is well deserved. That and “the tourists” are the two best “time books” that comes to mind in recent history. Will buy “Slaughter house 5” after hearing this podcast.