jD's Reviews > Legacy

Legacy by Lois McMaster Bujold

Mar 24, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, 2012_4-stars, 2_audio-book, 1_library-yes, fantasy_adventure_worldbuilding, fantasy_romance, fantasy_myths
Read from March 24 to 25, 2012

This series just keep bringing out the romantic in me. I found myself smiling and going ahhhh. The story continues to be quite original along with the strange magic of the Lakewalkers. The story continues for Dag and Fawn. In this installment, Dag takes Fawn home to meet the family and experience life as the wife of a Lakewalker. While Dag is deeply in love with his sweet young farm girl, his people are not feeling his joy. They do not mix with farmers in their daily lives and they never inter-marry. Dag basically tells everyone in his own special Dag way that Fawn isn't going anywhere. The level of distain Fawn endured gave me a greater respect for her character. These two do not win every battle for the hearts of his people which in truth is how prejudice works in reality. I liked the fact that they stood up for themselves and found happiness and a way forward. It wasn't easy but I felt the ending provided a perfect solution.

The Bog creatures were back and much more nasty and powerful than in the previous book. I learned more about the magic of the Lakewalkers and how they use those powers to kill the Bog things. I am still not sure what they are exactly but I believe Ms. Bujold is getting to it very slowly. Normally, I would not have the patience to keep going with so little information but I have found I am not in this for the mystery but am drawn by the romance. As well, I am intrigued by the magic and history of the Lakewalkers. Dag's magic has taken on some new aspects which I feel will be the focus of the next book. None of the characters really know enough to guide Dag so I don't feel like something is being held back as much as it hasn't reached a level of understanding. It's evolving.

I don't recommend this book as a stand-alone. You really need to read the first one to understand the relationship between the farmers and Lakewalkers. You would also need to understand what life was like for Fawn as a farm girl to appreciate her determination. All-in-all, this is not the best fantasy I have read but it has something special that works for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legacy.

message 1: by new_user (new)

new_user Man, I want to read the first just so I know what all that gobbledygook is, LOL.

message 2: by jD (new) - rated it 4 stars

jD Gobbledygook is so on point. I just love these characters. I can't think of a comparison as far as story but my emotions are similar to how I feel when reading the Sevenwaters books. The characters feel very real and they have such kindness and wisdom. Apparently this is not the author's best fantasy work so I am looking foward to trying one of her other series.

message 3: by new_user (new)

new_user Kindness and wisdom are good as long as they're not self-righteous, LOL.

message 4: by jD (new) - rated it 4 stars

jD Never That! These characters are very humble.