Christine~justlovemybooks.com blog~'s Reviews > Out of my League

Out of my League by C.J. Allison

liked it
bookshelves: arcs

When I read the blurb for this book, I was very interested to read it. This would be the first book that I came across with the hero being not physically perfect. I would like to read more books like this, but I'll be honest and say I am not aware of any. That said, anyone reading this review that knows of other books with a hero who does not have perfectly sculpted abs, bulging biceps and pecs in addition to a well-rounded, tight behind, please let me know.

As excited as I was to dig into Out Of My League, I did not love it. Honestly, there were a lot of issues for me. We all know that instalove in a romance can be sweet. And most times, hard to believe or relate to. I get that, and am usually ok with it. But the instant attraction between Marissa and Mick was not believable. It had nothing to do with Marissa being a super model and Mick an overweight, down-to-earth southern boy. Part of what I was looking forward to in this book was watching their relationship grow. It never grew, their relationship just leapt to love. In addition, there was no angst, no real plot either. Marissa was a super model who desperately wanted a change for her life going forward. So she decided to change the course of her professional career. Marissa met Mick through her brother while getting away from the limelight for a couple of weeks.

Mick was a simple man. He was generous and protective and loves bacon as you will discover as the author states this fact constantly. Working a job as a stock clerk in Walmart was not where he thought he'd be at this stage in his life. But circumstances arise and his Walmart job was the result. I will say that I liked most everything about Mick. I did like Marissa as well. Liking the H/h was not where my disappointment fell. There was potential for this to be a really good book. Unfortunately, the writing style threw me off. The characters constantly changed subject and I was having to back read to see if I missed something. This being my first book by this author, I don't know her writing so this book could just be a one off. that said, I would definitely like to read the first book in this series and see if there is a difference in the writing. So, while I didn't hate this book, I didn't love it and because of the potential I felt was there, I will give this author another go.

This is my honest and unbiased review. Thank you for taking the time to read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of my League.

October 4, 2019 – Started Reading