Lorraine's Reviews > The Hive

The Hive by Jane Holland

bookshelves: thriller, 4-star

The book begins with Charlotte and her Russian boyfriend, Alex, returning home from a romantic holiday to discover her mother's body hanging in the lounge. Her Father’s dementia means he can't give any explanation of anything that happened while they were away. Adding to this difficult homecoming was a strange delivery of a box of dead bees, suspicious policemen, an over-friendly family doctor and a tetchy carer.

I didn't like any of the characters very much, they all seemed creepy or were hiding something, even Charlotte annoyed me with her dithering!

I did, however, like the book. After the devasting home-coming things for Charlotte took a turn for the worse, as she was made to feel crazy, scared and paranoid. Who was watching her? What was making the buzzing sound that only occurred when she was alone? Who is setting her up to lose her job for industrial espionage? And why does an old photo showing her dad standing outside Bee Hive Cottage scare him so much?

There are more questions than answers in the first half of this book, but the second half more than made up for it with many twists and turns, culminating in an unexpected finale.

All in all, a puzzling and creepy thriller that kept me turning the pages.

3½ ★'s

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hive.

September 30, 2019 – Started Reading