Kym's Reviews > The World That We Knew

The World That We Knew by Alice Hoffman

I’ll just begin by saying . . . I have a hit-or-miss relationship with Alice Hoffman novels. I loved The Dovekeepers, for example, but have been lukewarm about many of her others. I think it’s the magical realism. It just doesn’t always work for me.

But in her latest novel, The World That We Knew, it DOES work! In fact, the entire novel . . . just works, magical realism and all. Hoffman weaves together a beautiful tale of love, sacrifice, family, and faith against the backdrop of the Holocaust and Nazi horrors. The characters are beautifully and lovingly drawn, the language is lovely, the story compelling. The pace never bogs down, the historical facts are well-placed and meaningful, and the magic is . . . well . . . pretty magical. I was captivated!

Highly recommended, and especially for readers who enjoy historical fiction . . . with a touch of magic. (And those who loved The Dovekeepers, for sure.)

(I listened to the audiobook version narrated by Judith Light. I found her narration quite overdramatic – and especially in the first half of the novel. I was annoyed, but not enough to quit listening.)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The World That We Knew.

October 3, 2019 – Started Reading